Thursday, July 9, 2009

The truth about getting old

I'm getting old
Not just physically, but mentally as well
Sombody said to me, you are not getting old, you are getting older

I noticed it when the way I view things are no longer the same

When I can have an intellectual talk about politics with my family and friends

When the books I read are evolving from chic lit to autobiography

When the section in newspaper that interest me is no longer the entertainment section

When I find the Gotcha calls boring and stupid

When I am no longer interested in the personal lives of other people

When I prefer to spend more quality time with people I care about

When I begin to take interest in the discovery channels and news

When I stop penning down in my diary every single small details of my life , and start writing more about things I think about

When I narrow down my social circle to just a few people that matters

I can definitely say that I am much more mature now

The thing is, when I look at teenagers nowadays, with their colourful attire and love for soft toys and boys, do I feel envious?
The answer is that I do, I really do

I had always felt that the best years of my life was when I am still a secondary school student
I feel sad that I can no longer return to those days
Those days when life ain't so complicated and everybody is your friend

I wish I can be a teenager again is what I kept telling myself
This is kinda ironic, because when I was 16 I can't wait to grow up and have a car and a job

Recently, I read a book call Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom (who also wrote The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day)
I won't review the whole book here in this post but there is this particular chapter about dealing with aging

7 pages, and it gave me great insight to the reality of aging
I am not as old as Morrie, who was way past 70 in the book
But every word in that chapter brought realization to myself

I have not yet reach the stage that I fear aging, but to some extent I tend to keep looking back and being drawn to the life I had, instead of focusing on the life I have

All younger people should know, if you're always battling against getting older, you're always gonna be unhappy

This is a statement from the book
And it is so true
I realised that I had been a teenager once
I had my time and experience of being the ignorant and innocent self
Now is my time to be in my mid twenties, to work, to earn money, and maybe to have my own family
I have to keep looking forward, and find what is good and true and beautiful in my life now

Oh god I sound so old... >_<
Haha... reading a book like this always makes me think too much

Yes I am getting older, more mature, maybe wiser
But I know part of me will always be young at heart, especially my love for silly cartoons =)



How can I be envious of where you are, when I've been there myself? (Tuesdays With Morrie, Mitch Albom)

0 comments:

Post a Comment